‘Shop Different’, With Michael Steeber
Sunday, 31 July 2022
Special guest Michael Steeber joins the show to discuss his new project, The Apple Store Time Machine — an intricately-detailed explorable walkthrough of four of Apple’s original retail stores.
- Retool: Build internal tools 10× faster.
- Squarespace: Make your next move. Use code talkshow for 10% off your first order.
- Memberful: Monetize your passion with membership. Start your free trial today.
- Hello Fresh: America’s #1 meal kit.
- Michael Steeber’s homepage.
- The App Store Time Machine.
- Steeber’s first crack at the idea of recreating original Apple Stores virtually, this one using ARKit last year.
- Tabletops, Steeber’s newsletter.
- Steeber’s Apple Store Glossary.
- A 4-minute video from the grand opening of the Glendale Galleria Apple Store on 19 May 2001. Apple opened its first two stores that day — in Glendale, California and Tysons, Virginia. Customers waited for three hours to enter the store and were happy to do so.
- Signage outside the Lincoln Park Apple Store in Chicago, with “Apple Store” anachronistically set in Apple Garamond.
- Apple Marina Bay Sands, in Singapore. Just gorgeous.
- Apple Carnegie Library, in Washington, DC.
- Apple Tower Theatre, in Los Angeles.
- Apple Walnut Street, in always-sunny Philadelphia.
- Bill Gates’s apparently apocryphal quote that “640K ought to be enough for anybody.”
This episode of The Talk Show was edited by Caleb Sexton.