Justin Pot, writing for How-To Geek, on top result for “Microsoft Excel” in the Mac App Store:
It’s possible for a collection of templates to be worth $30, and
for all I know these are really great. But let’s review:
- This is the top result if you search for “Microsoft Excel.”
- The word “template” is not in the name of the product.
- The word “template” is not in the product’s description.
- The product’s description outlines several functions that are
specific to Microsoft Office, and have nothing to do with what
customers will acquire by purchasing a collection of templates.
- It’s literally impossible to find this product by searching for
It’s easy to see that users could be deceived by this, and it’s
hard to imagine that it’s not intentional on the developer’s part.
Whatever the intention here, people were deceived.