Timothy B. Lee, reporting four short days ago for Ars Technica:
Last year, ZTE admitted to an elaborate multi-year scheme to sell
US-made technology to Iran and North Korea in violation of US
sanctions laws. ZTE paid $890 million in penalties and said it was
in the process of disciplining dozens of senior company officials
who had orchestrated a scheme to violate US sanctions laws.
But last month the Trump administration accused ZTE of continuing
to lie to the US government even after last year’s guilty plea.
The company told the US government that the guilty executives had
received letters of reprimand and had had their 2016 bonuses
reduced. But the US now says that was a lie — many of the
employees received full bonuses, and they didn’t receive letters
of reprimand until early 2018 — after the US government
challenged ZTE on the issue.
In the April 15 order activating the export ban against ZTE, US
Commerce Department official Richard Majauskas wrote that ZTE had
demonstrated a “pattern of deception, false statements, and
repeated violations.” A July 2017 letter to US officials was
“brimming with false statements,” he said.
ZTE announced that it was shutting the whole company down because it can’t operate without US components (Android software from Google and chips from Qualcomm). U.S. intelligence officials have also warned that ZTE phones (and Huawei’s) pose a security risk to U.S. citizens.
President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive
Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast.
Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been
instructed to get it done!