Brave Search is available in beta release globally on all Brave
browsers (desktop, Android, and iOS) as one of the search options
alongside other search engines, and will become the default search
in the Brave browser later this year. It is also available from
any other browser at search.brave.com. […]
Brave Search is different from other search engines because it
uses its own index and follows different principles:
- Privacy: no tracking or profiling of users.
- User-first: the user comes first, not the advertising and data
- Independence: Brave has its own search index for answering
common queries privately without reliance on other providers.
- Choice: soon, options for ad-free paid search and ad-supported
- Transparency: no secret methods or algorithms to bias results,
and soon, community-curated open ranking models to ensure
diversity and prevent algorithmic biases and outright
- Seamlessness: best-in-class integration between the browser and
search without compromising privacy, from personalization to
instant results as the user types.
- Openness: Brave Search will soon be available to power other
I’m interested to see how it compares to DuckDuckGo (my default for several years now) in daily driving.
Roger Montti at Search Engine Journal had good things to say about it last week:
Brave search is currently in testing mode. So it’s not fair to
make judgments on an unfinished product. That said, the quality of
the search results that I have seen are outstanding in terms of
There is a lack of clutter in Brave that sets it apart not only
from Google but from Bing and DuckDuckGo. After using Brave, I
suspect that a reason why I have not embraced Bing, despite liking
Bing’s search results, is that Bing feels similar to Google.
Brave on the other hand offers me something different that feels
just right and makes me want to return to it, something I’ve never
felt using any other Google competitor.
Update: Biggest thing I dislike about Brave Search is the font. It’s a typeface called Poppins that, almost unbelievably, is a free font from Google.
★ Tuesday, 22 June 2021